Something monumental has happened…I’ve started liking tomatoes.
I went from being the person to always request sandwiches and burgers “without tomatoes” and picking through my salads to pull out every last bit of tomato or tomato-juice-infected leaf of lettuce to not being able to get enough of them.
I can pop cherry tomatoes like candy, I devour them on my sandwiches and in my salads…it’s suddenly as though I can’t get enough of them.
As I was staring down my latest pint of cherry tomatoes, I was suddenly struck with a genius idea..a caprese salad using whole grain penne.
Made only better with olive oil + balsamic vinaigrette and a pinch of salt.
So worth liking tomatoes for.
SO worth it.
Whole Wheat Caprese Pasta Salad
- 1 pound cooked whole wheat penne pasta, cooled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed
- 8 oz. container of ciliegine fresh mozzarella, drained
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Combine pasta, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and basil together into a large bowl; toss gently.
- Combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar together and shake well.
- Pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixture evenly over pasta.
- Sprinkle with salt.