It’s getting to that time of year where I’m pulling out my dutch oven and my crock pot almost every week.
Soups, stews and chilis definitely start to take over my meal plans come September. Not only are they so comforting as the weather cools but they’re SO easy to pull together and you can load them up with whole grains, lean proteins and tons of veggies.
While I often opt for grains like rice and barley, I mixed it up this time when I found myself with an extra container whole grain tortellini on hand. I’ve never done a tortellini soup before but let me just say, I see a lot more of them in my future after making this one!
I loaded this one up with carrots, celery and onions along with a large can of crushed tomatoes so my veggies are more than covered and then added chickpeas to boost the protein and fiber content just a little more. Overall it’s a satisfying, filling meal that keeps well enough to eat all week long!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces store-bought whole wheat cheese tortellini such as Buitoni
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté until tender (about 5 to 6 minutes)
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 more minute)
- Stir in the can of crushed tomatoes followed by the vegetable broth then bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat
- Add the bay leaf, oregano and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to the mixture and allow to simmer another 15 to 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the tortellini and cook according to the instructions on the package. Drain well.
- Stir the tortellini into the soup.
- Garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese and basil as desired