I get a lot of questions via email and social media about meal planning and product picks, so I decided to start this “Daily Meal Plan” series offering a full day of balanced meal ideas from breakfast to dinner – including product suggestions!
With each meal I make, I aim to include four things:
- Whole grains
- Lean proteins (including dairy)
- Fruits and/or vegetables
- Healthy fat
Instead of calorie counting, measuring or weighing food, I rely on the “plate method” (examples can be found at Harvard’s School of Public Health site, the American Diabetes Association site and the USDA “My Plate” site). This method puts the focus on making 1/4 of your plate lean protein (I include dairy here), 1/4 of your plate whole grains and the remaining 1/2 of your plate fruits and vegetables all finished off with a sprinkling of healthy fat (such as olive oil, avocado, hummus, etc.). Serve this plate with 8oz of non-sugary fluids and you have yourself a complete and balanced dish!
So without further ado, here’s today’s Daily Meal Plan!
DAILY MEAL PLAN:
BREAKFAST: Two whole grain waffles topped with a smear of nut butter, greek or skyr yogurt and piece of chopped, fresh fruit of choice
- Waffles: Kashi 7 Grain, Van’s 8 Whole Grains and Nature’s Promise Ancient Grains…or you can make your own using any of these recipes!
- Greek Yogurt: Fage, Siggi’s and Trader Joe’s
- Nut Butter: Trader Joe’s Creamy Unsalted
LUNCH: Turkey and cheese on a whole wheat wrap with a smear of hummus, lettuce, tomato, onion, chopped veggies (such as carrot sticks or cucumbers) and piece of fruit on the side
- Turkey: Boar’s Head Lower Sodium Turkey Breast
- Cheese: Boar’s Head Lacey Swiss or other Lower Sodium option
- Whole Wheat Wrap: Joseph’s Lavash or Trader Joe’s 100% Whole Wheat
- Hummus: Tribe or Trader Joe’s Organic Hummus
SNACK: Nut bar with fruit of choice
DINNER: Salmon and mixed veggies (such as mushrooms, peppers and zucchini) roasted with olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and brown rice
Please leave any questions, comments and suggestions/feedback for how this series can better serve you below!