Energy bars can be great on-the-go snacks to throw in your bag. However, if you don’t choose wisely, you can easily end up eating something with as much added sugar as a candy bar. I’ve put together a list of what are nutritionally (in my opinion) the best picks but also taste great!
1. Kind Bars: KIND bars are lower in sugar than most bars out there and they specify the amount of added sugar. They also provide a good amount of protein and are fairly low in sodium.
2. Larabar: I’m a big fan of any bar that offers simplicity in their ingredient list. With most of Larabars, you’re going to find between 3-5 ingredients, all of which you can pronounce. Plus, they provide plenty of options for people on dairy-free or gluten-free diets. They’re a little higher on the sugar side, however it’s not from added sugar but the sugar that comes from the dried fruit used.
3. Luna Bars: The ingredient list is long, but the sugar in these bars (like the Nutz Over Chocolate flavor) is reasonable and they offer a good mix of carbohydrate, protein and fat. They also have some gluten-free options if that’s a concern.
4. 88 Acres: 88 acres bars use a blend of seeds as the base of their bars which is a nice change from the usual nut base. The ingredient list and amount of sugar is reasonable, they have a good macronutrient mix and they taste incredible. They also have unique flavors like apple ginger, chocolate sea salt and triple berry.
5. ProBar Bites: When ProBar first came out, they focused on meal replacement bars which were delicious but way too much for a snack (I often ate only half) – so you can imagine how excited I was when they came out with their “bites” – low in sugar, plenty of gluten-free or dairy-free options and a good mix of macronutrients.0