Are these not just the cutest things you’ve ever seen?
My sister and I look forward to our Christmas baking every single year and this year we decided a fun tradition to start on the blog would be to share our favorites with you!
Starting with these little guys because they’re just the cutest. And they’re also pretty delicious too!
I promise you adding these to your dessert table at the holidays will make everyone excited! And if you wanted to get REALLY ambitious – you could even whip up a batch of my Classic Holiday Gingerbread Men cookies to use rather than buying boxed.
Regardless of what you decide, I can assure you these cuties will be fully appreciated 🙂
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- For the Frosting
- 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 box gingerbread men
- For the Cupcakes:
- Into a bowl sift together the flour, the ground ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves, the allspice, and the salt. In another bowl cream 1/2 stick of the butter, add the granulated sugar, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy. Beat in the molasses and the egg, beating until the mixture is smooth. In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir the mixture to dissolve the baking soda. Stir the mixture into the molasses mixture (the mixture will appear curdled) and stir the molasses mixture into the flour mixture, stirring to combine the ingredients well. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin tins with paper liners and spoon the batter into the liners, filling them halfway. Bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and let them cool.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy (about 3 minutes)
- Slowly add in Confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating on low
- Increase speed of the mixer and add brown sugar and cinnamon, beating until smooth (about 3 more minutes)
- If the buttercream is too thick, add 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Crush 8-10 gingerbread men and sprinkle over the cupcakes. Add one whole gingerbread man into the center of each cupcake's frosting.
For piping the frosting, a Wilson 1M tip was used
Recipe for the cupcakes can be found here on Epicurious