Grilled cheese is one of my absolute favorite lunches. It’s super simple, there are SO many different varieties you can make and depending on how you pull it together, you can get at least 3 food groups into one little sandwich.
Anytime I can pack a whole lot of nutrition into one dish, I’m a happy camper. So as you can imagine, I rely on this a lot for quick and easy lunches! I’ve even made it ahead before and just quickly heated it up while at work – still tastes just as great!
I love to load mine up with veggies, but on the days that I don’t, I just add a side salad or some cut veggies. That takes care of the whole grains (bread), protein (cheese), veggies (in the sandwich or on the side), fat (spread) and all you have left to do is throw a piece of fruit on the side and you’ve got yourself a complete meal!
And the best part is that it comes in one easy, portable package 🙂
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon favorite spread (I love earth balance)
- 2 slices of your favorite cheese
- Veggies of your choosing (I used spinach, tomato and onion)
- Turn stovetop to "medium" heat
- Meanwhile, spread one side of bread with your chosen spread
- Place bread, spread side down onto a non-stick pan (removed from the heat)
- Add one slice of cheese, followed by veggies of your choice
- Top veggies with remaining cheese slice
- Add last slice of bread to the top of your sandwich and lather with spread of your choice
- Add pan to stovetop and gently press sandwich with a spatula
- Allow sandwich to cook for about 1.5 - 2 minutes before flipping
- Gently press the sandwich with a spatula again and allow to cook for a remaining 1.5 - 2 minutes
- Remove from pan and allow to cool then slice and serve