I was lucky enough to spend the weekend in San Francisco with my sister!
It was nice break from the cold in Boston and is quickly becoming one of my favorite cities! My only complaint was that it was such a quick trip…but I guess that just gives me a reason to get back out here again soon.
Where We Stayed: We stayed in Cow Hollow/Marina District which was a great location. It’s right near Chestnut Street which has tons of delicious eateries, you can easily walk down to Crissy Field and the Piers, there’s easy access to the 22 and 24 bus which can take you up to Haight Street and Linden Street/Hayes Valley (which has some great shopping in and around it as well as tons of great coffee stops and restaurants). Highly recommend the location!
Things We Did:
1. Alamo Square – For every Full House fan out there, it’s worth going here to see the Painted Ladies…but it also offers some pretty amazing views. Try to get up there by sunset – you’ll be sure to get some pretty skies!
2. Ghirardelli Square – it’s especially great around Christmas time…their decorations are amazing. But no matter the time of year, you’re always guaranteed a free sample square of chocolate which is always a good thing in my book 🙂
3. Crissy Field – It’s a great place to start a run that you can do all the way along the water straight to the Bay bridge! You can also get a pretty good view of the Golden Gate Bridge from there.
4. Fort Mason/Great Meadow – A great little grassy area that you can run and bike through (if you like hills!) or even have a picnic in. Plus there are some great views of the Golden Gate Bridge – especially when Karl the fog comes rolling in. You can literally watch him take over the whole bridge.
5. Pier 39 – Mostly worth it just for the sea lions. Otherwise it’s a very touristy area. You can get some good views of Alcatraz from around here and also explore Fisherman’s Wharf.
6. Ferry Building – Just an awesome place. Tons of cool shops and eateries (particularly Blue Bottle Coffee, Biscuit Bender and Sidekick Cafe) plus a great view of the Bay bridge. Definitely worth checking out!
You can walk from Crissy Field along the water all the way to the Ferry Building (it’s probably about a 2 mile walk or so). I highly recommend doing so as the sun is setting as you can get some pretty great views!
Where We Ate & Drank:
1. Biscuit Bender – Try the cinnamon bun biscuit!
2. Pacific Catch – Get the fish tacos and the Dreaming Tree red blend!
3. COFFEE!! Ritual Coffee, Bereka, The Mill & Blue Bottle Coffee – all were amazing. Ritual probably tops the list for me.
4. Home Plate Restaurant – the free scones with strawberry jam that come as you sit down are worth the trip alone!
5. Black Point Cafe and Bakery – This is located right outside Ghirardelli Square and serves a pretty delicious soy latte and hearty veggie sandwich on sourdough. They also offer things like greek yogurt parfaits and fresh fruit which I was happy to find!
8. The Plant Cafe Organic – The fish tacos and the California veggie burger were both amazing as were the vegan cookies!
7. Over the Moon – Get the custom made ice cream sandwiches!! You cannot go wrong.
8. Blue Barn – They make huge, delicious looking salads, have a multitude of grilled cheese sandwiches and the best fries I’ve had in a long time! Plus the interior and exterior are adorable.
9. Tartine Bakery – There are no words. Go hungry and be prepared to get a ‘to-go’ box of goodies. Get the morning bun and the chocolate croissant. Oh, and they serve their coffee out of bowls…which for coffee lovers like us was amazing.
And now it’s back to the cold wintery weather in Boston which seems to be blowing in right as I leave! Thanks to all who helped to make this such a fun trip. Until next time SF!0