these easy meatless pita pockets are loaded with caprese flavor and come together in about 5 minutes for a refreshing mid-day meal!
I don’t know about you guys, but I absolutely love a good caprese salad. Truly, is there anything better than soft mozzarella, juicy tomatoes, fresh basil and the tang of balsamic glaze all together?
It honestly tastes similar to a margherita pizza which is why I think I love it so much (it’s always my go-to pizza order).
I’ve chosen to make this meatless since you’re getting protein from the mozzarella, but you can absolutely throw some chicken or chickpeas into the mix if you like. Both are mild enough proteins that they won’t over-power the caprese flavor while bumping up the protein in the dish.
Even without the addition of chicken or chickpeas, you’re getting protein, veggies and whole grains from this dish. If you pair with a piece of fruit, you’ve got yourself a well-balanced meal. You can also make deconstructed versions of these by skewering the mozzarella and tomatoes, packing the lettuce, pitas and balsamic glaze separately. Then, come lunchtime, all you have to do is assemble, drizzle with glaze and you’re good to go!
Regardless of how you choose to serve it – with additional protein or without, deconstructed or assembled – it will quickly become a favorite lunch simply because it’s so easy to pull together and packed with such incredible flavor!
- 2 whole grain pitas, halved and opened
- 4 leaves of boston bibb lettuce (or leafy green of choice)
- 12 ciliengini mozzarella balls
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Open each pita half and stuff with 1 slice of lettuce, 2 fresh basil leaves, 4 mozzarella balls and 4 cherry tomato halves
- Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze