Another successful meal in the books for Owen!
This was SO easy to pull together and Owen absolutely loved it (and truth be told, so did I! next time I’m making enough for all of us!)
What I love about this is he’s getting whole grains (I used whole wheat orzo), protein (from the cheese), fat (from the butter) and veggies all in one dish.
Having the Elmo fork and spoon set also didn’t hurt in getting him interested in this dish 😉
But truthfully, he gobbled it up. Usually with new dishes he has to take a bite with an unsure look on his face and then think about it for a minute before deciding whether or not he likes it.
This one was a resounding yes from the first bite.
I gave him a little taste and he immediately reached for more (at which point I gave him the bowl and just let him go to town).
Once Owen started eating solids, my sister-in-law gave me a bunch of recipes that her kids loved and this was one of them. I was so happy to see that this one was a hit for him too. We will certainly be making it over and over again in our house.
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded with the small side of a grater
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Place orzo and carrots into a saucepan together and cover with water (water should come up about 1/4 cup above the mixture)
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and broccoli and continue cooking from another 8-10 minutes (or until veggies are fork tender)
- Drain any remaining water from the pan then add butter, stirring vigorously to melt
- Finally, toss in cheddar cheese mixing well so the entire mixture is covered
You can feel free to mix up the veggies - use any you have on hand or any that your baby particularly loves!
recipe from Top 100 Baby Purees with a few tweaks