When the temperatures start eeking towards the 100 degree mark it can be tough to want to fire up your stove and cook up a nice warm meal.
Chad jokingly said to me the other day that I’m doing everything backwards spending the winters in Boston and the summers in Charlotte and I couldn’t agree more. I’m never getting to reap the seasonal benefits of each place!
Having been born and raised in the Northeast, getting used to these southern summers is not easy for me. One thing I definitely notice is that I crave a lot more fruit, smoothies and salads than I normally do!
This salad has been my go-to this summer. It combines just about all my favorite flavors, satisfies my Greek side and fills me up perfectly!
You can swap avocado for the walnuts if you prefer, or add a little of each! You can also add a lean protein of your choice such as chicken, shrimp or edamame!
Next time it’s too hot outside for you to bear the thought of turning on that stove, I implore you to resort to this salad! You won’t go back, I promise.
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup cucumbers, sliced thick and halved
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons white onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons walnut halves
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar or glaze
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar or glaze
- Toss together, serve