The other weekend we took a trip down to Greensboro and while there we ate lunch at one of my favorite places there, the Green Bean.
I ordered a strawberry spinach bacon salad that was so incredibly delicious I knew I had to come home and make a version of it myself immediately!
The sweet slightly tart flavor of the strawberries pairs so perfectly well with the savory bacon and salty cheese making it a match made in flavor heaven.
The only thing I felt it was missing was a grain, so in my dish I decided to utilize one of my favorite whole grains – farro. And let me tell you, it was the icing on the cake that this dish needed.
And the textures of the dish, oh my – crispy bacon, melty cheese, juicy strawberries and the slightly chewy farro makes every bite just absolute perfection.
It’s honestly the best salad I’ve had in a long time, and that’s saying something because I’ve eaten my fair share of salads!
- 1 cup farro, cooked
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinaigrette for dressing
- Cook farro according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crispy. Remove from tray and let cool, then crumbled.
- Roughly chop the spinach then add to a large mixing bowl with farro, bacon, strawberries, walnuts, cheese, salt & pepper. Toss to combine.
- Dress with balsamic vinaigrette and toss again, then serve.