This is one of my “I have 15 minutes to pull together dinner” dinners.
It’s super simple and while it does require taking a few shortcuts, they’re definitely worth it in my opinion. Especially since it means have this on the table at the end!
My oldest sister actually turned me onto this meal. I always marvel at how she seems to be able to do it all – stay on top of my nieces schedules, work her own job, get involved in the community and have amazing, healthy meals on the table most nights!
Then she let me in on the little secret to this meal: pre-cooked lentils!
I buy mine at Trader Joe’s (if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s or can’t find pre-cooked lentils in your regular grocery store, you can always cook a batch over the weekend to have on hand for this meal).
The best part is that they’re not flavored, which really allows you to create whatever dish you want with them.
As I’m sure you could tell from my peanut butter cookie bars, I’m on a simple kick this week so I didn’t go crazy with the flavors. I kept it simple with just a little garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. This creates a nice base that allows you to add different things to all week!
The sky’s the limit as far as add-ins go. On Monday night I added roasted sweet potatoes and topped the whole thing with feta. I also love to add a dollop of hummus! It gets all creamy and delicious and complements all the already-existing flavors.
Whatever you choose to do, you can’t really go wrong. Not bad for 15 minutes in the kitchen!
- 1 lb. steamed lentils (I like Trader Joe's
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10 oz. bag kale leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- Optional (but HIGHLY recommended): hummus
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of whole wheat couscous mixing well to combine.
- Cover then microwave on HIGH for 3.5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, add minced garlic and kale, sauteing until just soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the lentils to the pan sauteing until warmed all the way through.
- Serve over couscous with a dollop of hummus.