Summer’s delicious produce bounty has officially hit stores and I couldn’t be more excited! I waited all year long for summer produce. As much as I absolutely adore apples, pears, pumpkins and all that Fall has to offer, to me, there’s just nothing that quite compares with cherries, peaches, plums, pineapple, watermelon…I could go on!
Most of the time, I eat a combination of all of the above because I often can’t pick just one! And one of my most favorite summer fruit combinations is strawberries and peaches. If you’ve never tried the two together, I highly recommend it!
I often top my yogurt with this combo and many times my waffles, so I figured why not bake them right into a whole grain waffle?!
Topped of course with the usual suspects: peanut butter, strawberry siggi’s yogurt and the remaining diced strawberries and peach.
It’s the absolute perfect summertime breakfast! Not only is it refreshing and satisfying but it takes advantage of two of summer’s best offerings!
I like to finish everything off with a drizzle of maple syrup for just a hint of sweetness to complete the dish. And then all that’s left to do is DIG IN.
These freeze well too so you can make a big batch over the weekend (which is what I do!) and then freeze and eat them all week long. Nothing better than that!
- 1 and 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (I love cinnamon so usually use more)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 peach, washed and diced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, washed, hulled and diced
- Optional Toppings: peanut butter, yogurt, maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a bowl and stir
- Combine egg, milk, and oil in a measure cup
- Add wet to dry ingredients, stirring just until flour is moistened (Batter will be lumpy).
- Gently fold in 1/2 - 2/3 cup diced fruit
- Add batter to preheated waffle iron and cook
- Top with optional ingredients as desired