There are times when I revel in the ‘art’ of cooking – taking pleasure in pulling together a fairly labor intensive meal. Then there are others when both kids are melting down, it’s bath night, the house is a mess and all I want is a quick and easy meal to throw together.
This is one of my go-tos for the latter scenario. A ‘no recipe’ recipe. All it takes is a block of extra-firm tofu (you can use chicken or whatever your stir-fry protein of choice is), a bag of cauliflower stir-fry with sauce and a steamable packet of brown rice. I like to throw some fresh sliced scallions on top if I’ve got them but serving it as is just as good.
super fast tofu stir-fry
- 1 14 oz. block extra firm tofu drained, pressed and cubed
- 1-2 tbsps olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag cauliflower stir-fry (with sauce) (about 2 cups)
- 1 pouch steam-in-the-bag brown rice (about 1 cup)
- sliced scallions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat
- Toss cubed tofu with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes (flipping halfway through for even browning)
- With ~5 minutes left of cooking for the tofu, microwave the rice then start cooking the cauliflower according to package instructions (I recommend using the stovetop method).
- Toss the rice and cooked tofu into the pan with the riced cauliflower and toss to combine, cooking another minute or two until all the flavors have melded.
- Serve, topping with sliced scallions and additional salt/pepper as desired.
- I don’t do a lot of measuring when I cook, so most ingredient and serving size amounts in my recipes are approximations. Have fun with it and make it your own!