my favorite take on a classic blt – easily customizable to suit your tastes!
The other day I found myself wanting something different from my usual go-to rotation of lunches. While racking my brain for what might be good, I remembered a sandwich I had at one of my favorite cafes in Woodstock, VT and immediately knew what I wanted.
I usually always have a package of my favorite plant-based bacon on hand (for no other reason than because I love the taste) and a block of my go-to Vermont white sharp cheddar cheese. From there I just needed some bread, tomato, lettuce and garlic aioli.
I had a loaf of sourdough on hand (check), some arugula (the peppery taste would lend itself beautifully to this sandwich) and the rest of the ingredients I’d need in the fridge.
And thus was born a delicious sandwich that instantly transported me to my favorite cozy corner in that cafe in Vermont.
You can alter this sandwich up to suit your preferences – use real bacon, any type of bread you like best, swap in leafy greens for the arugula…whatever works best for you.
It doesn’t take much and it doesn’t look like much, but it is delicious.
- 2 thick cut slices of bread I used sourdough
- Plant-based or regular bacon I used about 6 slices
- Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese sliced from a block
- Sliced tomato I used 3-4 slices
- Handful of arugula
- Garlic aioli
- Place cheese on insides of both bread slices then toast in the oven or in a convection oven until cheese is melted and bread is lightly browned and toasted
- While the bread toasts, cook bacon according to package instructions
- Onto the toasted cheesy bread, slather some garlic aioli (regular mayo also works!) on each side then layer bacon followed by tomato and finally arugula.
- Sandwich both sides together and enjoy!
Leave a Reply