This recipe is just comfort in a bowl.
For a meatless dish, it’s surprisingly hearty and just completely soul-warming. The combination of the root vegetables and beans all covered in the curry flavor just makes for the perfect meal – especially as the weather cools down!
On top of all of that, it’s a one-pot dish which means even on the busiest nights it’s a cinch to pull together.
As usual, you’re getting a good dose of fiber, vitamins and minerals with this dish so you can feel good about downing it right out of the pan 🙂
- Olive oil
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large heavy duty pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the
- onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the
- heat to medium and cook until the onion is browned. Add the garlic and
- cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the curry, coriander, cumin, and
- cayenne; stir for 30 seconds to toast the spices. Add the tomato paste
- and stir until well blended.
- Add the vegetables and saute until tender but still al dente.
- Add the broth, cinnamon stick, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce
- the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are
- tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook for about 3 minutes more. Season to
- taste with salt.