Ah, the never-ending quest to come up with things to use your old bananas with…
For me, because I only use them in baked goods and smoothies (I just haven’t gotten to that point yet where I can unpeel a banana and bit into it) I always find myself with a few leftover after buying a batch. I always freeze a few to have on hand for my 4-ingredient green smoothies but that usually still leaves me with 2 or 3 that sit browning on my countertop.
Luckily there’s no end to creative things that you can do with bananas!
And I have to say that this one may just be my new favorite. It literally requires only one (oven safe!) pan and a whisk! It was so simple to pull together that my 4-year old niece actually managed to do most of the work (and had an absolute blast doing it).
It may have ended up a tad messier than had I done it by myself, but I absolutely love that she gets excited about baking and I’m willing to do anything to foster that (even if it makes cleaning up take two times as long).
I also love that this is made with whole grains, bananas and greek yogurt because it makes me feel better about allowing her to taste-test her baked goods. My 7-year old niece literally gobbled it up in seconds!
I have to admit I can’t blame her – the banana, chocolate chip and cinnamon smell literally filled the kitchen as it baked.
Pretty impossible to resist.
Moist, fluffy plus packed with whole grains and fiber from the flour and the bananas, this goes perfectly paired with a glass of milk for breakfast, a snack or even a sweet after-dinner treat!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 bananas, smashed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup (5.3oz cup) plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cake spice
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (I recommend king arthur)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Melt the butter in the skillet on the stove top.
- Remove from heat and in the same skillet, add the sugar, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, cake spice, mashed bananas & salt.
- Mix until combined.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- Slowly fold in yogurt and chocolate chips until well combined.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes at 350* or until done.
recipe inspired by siggi's banana skillet cake