these easy homemade whole grain bagels come together with just 3 ingredients and about 30 minutes of your time! top with your most-loved bagel toppings and lather on your favorite spreads!
You guys. This recipe is everything.
It literally brings together homemade dough with just 3 ingredients and 30 minutes of your time.
Now, to set expectations, are these going to replace the bagels from your beloved bagel shop? No (but then again you’re talking to a born and bred Northeastern girl, so my expectations might be a little higher than the average person). But if you’re looking for some quick and easy dough (this could also make a great pizza dough!), this is the recipe for you.
It’s also something that can be super fun to get the kids involved in. The dough is not super sticky so they could have a blast rolling the sections out into ropes and even shaping the bagels.
You can also make these into 2 ingredient bagels by utilizing self-rising flour and yogurt, but I went with 3 ingredients so that I could make them whole grain. To do that, I added vital wheat gluten (I used Bob’s Red Mill because I am the biggest fan girl of the brand and use everything they make!) which helps to improve the texture and elasticity of the dough and give more volume to the baked bread (i.e., it helps do what self-rising flour would do!).
You can makes these bagels into whatever you want. Plain, everything, sesame, salt, cinnamon sugar…the list is really endless. I actually have it on my list to try with dark chocolate chips because who doesn’t love a chocolate chip bagel!?
Whatever you choose, add a little whipped cream cheese and you’re on your way!
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup plain skyr or greek yogurt
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, coarse salt, everything bagel mix
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine all ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook and mix until a shaggy dough forms
- Knead dough well until glossy (add additional flour if dough is too sticky) - about 8 minutes
- Form dough into a large ball then cut into 4 equal sections
- Roll each section into a rope (about 8-10 inches long) then form into a bagel shape
- Combine whisked egg and water and brush each bagel with the egg wash then add optional toppings as desired
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
recipe inspired by eating well