If you ask me, you never need a reason to eat apple crisp for breakfast. But if you’re the type of person that does, then I have just then these are just the things for you!
These capture all the intensely delicious taste of apple crisp but are a lot quicker to pull together and provide a pretty good dose of nutrition along with those flavors.
You’re getting protein from the plain greek yogurt, fruit from the apples, whole grains from the cinnamon graham crackers and healthy fats from the almonds. Not bad for a breakfast that is based off dessert!
I love taking more decadent dessert items and making them into breakfast. It just makes morning feel a little more special, and who doesn’t need that (especially as the weather is getting colder and snuggling up under the covers always seems like the best option!).
I loved using the cinnamon graham crackers because the burst of cinnamon flavor that comes through permeates both the yogurt and the apples giving a nice spice to both. That coupled with the sweetness of the candied pecans really does make this breakfast feel more like a dessert.
It’s also a nice way to portion out the candied pecans. I can’t be the only one out there that could easily down the entire bowl of those things!
I really like to get in and mix it all around so that all the flavors really marinate. But that’s the beauty of a parfait, even without the mixing, you can easily slide your spoon straight down and come up with a little taste of each part. Either way will be equally as messy and delicious – so pick your favorite and go with it.
I personally think it makes for a perfect after-Thanksgiving breakfast. Still a taste of the season but on the lighter side and a little easier to handle after a night of heavy eating!
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 4 cinnamon graham crackers, crushed
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 tablespoon candied pecans, whole or chopped, up to you!
- Divide all the ingredients in half as this makes two parfaits
- Working with one set of the ingredients, layer 1/2 the graham crackers into the bottom of the glass
- Top with 3/4 the greek yogurt followed by all the diced apples
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 of the graham crackers on top followed by a dollop of greek yogurt and then the pecans (see note)
- Or feel free to nix the parfait idea all together, pile it all into a bowl and enjoy!
You can also add the crushed pecans directly into the graham cracker crumbs.