these easy flatbreads bring together the most delicious flavors of the mediterranean. chickpeas are smashed into a paste to form a protein-packed base that blends perfectly with the crisp veggies that top it!
I’m pretty sure I’m having a full-blown love affair with chickpeas this summer.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always loved them, but lately I’ve been really into them. I’m not sure what happened, but after Owen was born, I found myself craving meat much less than usual. I’ll still have a turkey sandwich once in a while or the occasional chicken dish, but more and more I’ve found myself leaning toward plant-based proteins.
Whatever it is, I’m embracing it and as such, chickpeas have found themselves on my menu quite a bit!
The other day at the spa I was flipping through a Better Homes & Gardens and they featured a dish that had smashed chickpeas and I thought “what a good idea!” and thus these mediterranean flatbreads were born.
This dish combines pretty much all my current favorite foods & flavors. If you’ve followed me for a while now, you know that feta basically runs through my veins. Pair that with crisp veggies and I’m one happy lady. Each flatbread offers up whole grains, protein, veggies and heart-healthy fat…so essentially everything I aim to get in a meal, all on one flatbread!
As a busy mom, being able to get all my needed food groups in one bite is a win-win for me. Also a win for me? A dish that comes together in about 15 minutes. As soon as Owen goes down to nap, I fly downstairs and whip up my lunch. If I make something that takes too long, I risk losing out on time to get some work done (and possibly time to eat my lunch without a little monkey climbing on my leg!) so it’s important to me that I can find foods that not only nourish and satisfy me, but that also come together quickly.
I can tell you that this dish is going to be making it on the menu over and over again for me. It keeps me full, it’s easy and it’s fully of ingredients that I always have on hand! Like I said, an all around win 🙂
- 1 can no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, plus more for topping
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 whole grain flatbreads
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- Combine chickpeas, oregano, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until a paste starts to form (it's ok if the chickpeas are not fully pureed, some chunks are fine)
- Using a fork, divide the chickpea mixture into two portions and spread each over each flatbread
- Top each with veggies and feta cheese then a drizzle of tahini
- Finish off with a few fresh leaves of oregano