Well guys, I’ve just created the dinner of your dreams and get this – it’s vegan!
It’s packed with summer produce which combines the most amazing flavors to create a perfect bite with every forkful you bring to your mouth.
You can serve this as a bowl, a burrito or even tacos. We recommend serving with avocado and hot sauce and if you don’t care about de-veganizing it, you can also add cheese or plain yogurt! But honestly you don’t even need it – it’s off the charts flavor-wise just as is.
You’re getting a good dose of veggies, protein and heart-healthy fat as well as whole grains (serve over brown rice or farro for a burrito bowl, in whole corn tortillas for tacos or whole wheat wraps for a burrito) with this dish. What more could you ask for in a dish?
And if you’re open to trying this but worry your family or kids won’t like it, I can tell you that my 11 year old niece gobbled it up and said they were the “best tacos she’s ever eaten!” If that’s not a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is!
And if that still doesn’t convince you, then you can make the whole batch for yourself and eat it all week long. The flavors marinate the longer they sit so you can’t go wrong!
- 2 blocks of extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 ears of corn
- 1 16 oz can of low sodium black beans
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper or one whole small jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1 pineapple, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh lime
- Hot sauce
- Drain tofu. Wrap in paper towels and place something heavy (a cast iron pan works well) on top of the tofu to drain out all excess liquid.
- Combine all ingredients for the chili lime marinade in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into a plastic ziploc bag. Cut tofu into cubes and place in the ziploc bag, then shake to coat the tofu evenly with the marinade. Place the tofu in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Bake marinated tofu for 25-30 minutes, or until crispy on the outside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pan. Cut corn off the cob and saute over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and rinse black beans and add to pan off the heat, stirring to combine. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and toss to combine.
- Slice or mash 1/4 avocado on a corn tortilla, top with salsa and tofu. Enjoy!