I was so in love with this dish that I made the other week, that I knew I HAD to make another version of it it once I found this riced sweet potato & cauliflower in the grocery store. Sweet potato lends itself perfect to mexican flavors so I knew it would only make this delicious dish better!
I’m LOVING riced veggies lately because they automatically bump up the veggie content of any dish so seamlessly. And they’re so ridiculously easy to make (which you guys know is my favorite thing!).
While I love baked tofu, I needed something a little quicker this weekend as I was working to pull together a breakfast dish for both Owen and I for the week as well as main meals, so I decided to just scramble it up and it worked perfectly. You don’t get as much texture variation but it’s an awesome quick and easy meal and literally the crunch from the tofu is the only thing that’s missing! Not too bad for a 20-30 minute time saver!
And while I used tofu, you could easily sub in ground chicken or turkey, or even beef! Whatever your heart desires.
And as with this other one, this dish only gets better as it marinates in the fridge making it a perfect meal to make on Sunday and eat all week (which is exactly what I’ve been doing!). You’re getting a boat load of veggies, fiber, heart-healthy fats, protein and whole grains if you serve it with my favorite: blue corn chips!
I also recommend loading it up with cheese, plain yogurt, avocado, salsa and hot sauce. The toppings really bring the whole dish to life.
There’s not much to dislike about this dish, so go ahead and dig in!Print
- 2 14 oz blocks of extra firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 20 ounces riced sweet potato & cauliflower I used Green Giant
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Optional toppings: avocado, plain yogurt, cheese, hot sauce, salsa
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Add the tofu then all the spices and lime juice. Mix to combine using a wooden spatula. Cook about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the rice:
- Meanwhile, heat additional olive oil in the same skillet. Add onion and cook on low heat until soft and slightly browned. Turn heat up to medium high. Add garlic, jalapeno, bell peppers, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper, and cook until the peppers are soft. Add riced sweet potato & cauliflower, vegetable broth, and tomato paste, and stir until the rice is coated evenly with broth and tomato paste. Cook on medium high heat until the rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro, stirring to combine.
- Add in tofu stirring to combine and cooking an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Keywords: tofu, dinner, vegetarian, gluten-free