You guys know how much I love a good peanut butter and jelly breakfast. But I ALSO love oatmeal. So today I decided to combine the two together in a deliciously filling breakfast.
This breakfast is amazing for several reasons:
1. Peanut butter and jelly. <— pretty much all you need! but I’ll add a few more…
2. The chia seeds (which serve to make the oats SUPER fluffy and pack a powerful nutritional punch)
3. It’s quick (we’re talking made in about 5 minutes)
4. It’s easy (only 6 ingredients!)
5. It’s filling (thanks to soluble fiber in the oats and the chia seeds)
Is there really anything more you could want in a breakfast?
I would recommend serving it with a piece of fruit or topping with the type of berries that match your jam choice – just to get even more nutrition into this dish.
Also, try to choose a jam or jelly with less than 10g of sugar per serving to keep the sugar in check!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted natural peanut butter, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons preferred jam or jelly (I love raspberry)
- Optional topping: unsalted peanuts
- Combine oatmeal, chia seeds and milk or water (you want the oats and chia seeds to be just submerged in the liquid of choice) and stir to combine. Set aside and let side for about 2 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the chia seeds. (NOTE: you don't want the oats to be completely dry so if too much liquid has been absorbed by the chia seeds, splash a bit more on top)
- Cook in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes
- Remove and stir in peanut butter
- Top with jam or jelly of choice and a sprinkling of peanuts