this 6-ingredient peanut butter apple chia seed oatmeal comes together quickly, is super filling and oh-so-tasty!
- 1/2 cup rolled oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small apple, cored & diced (*see note)
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- 1–2 tablespoons creamy, unsalted natural peanut butter
FOR THE MICROWAVE:
- Combine oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and liquid of choice in a microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 1 minute so chia seeds can soak up some of the liquid.
- Microwave on HIGH for 2 minute then remove, stir in diced apples and top with peanut butter. (**see note)
FOR THE STOVETOP:
- Combine oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, liquid of choice and diced apple in a saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Once oats start to bubble, lower heat slightly and begin to stir continuously. When oats are all gelatinous (and before they begin to stick to the bottom of the pan), remove from heat and transfer into a bowl then immediately add peanut butter. (***see note)
* If you are making this meal for a toddler, peel the apples before dicing
** If you don’t like the contrast of warm oats & cold fruit, stir the apples in before heating.
*** If serving to a toddler, peel apples & pulse entire mixture in a food processor several times to ensure apples are a manageable size
Keywords: breakfast, kid-friendly, oatmeal, whole grain, peanut butter apple oatmeal