I don’t know about you guys, but this dish works for me on two levels:
One, it gives me an excuse to eat my weekend scrambled eggs with something different than my usual whole wheat bagel. And two, it gives me an excuse to eat tacos at breakfast.
And let’s be honest, the more tacos in life, the better.
Especially when they pack double the protein, whole grains, heart healthy fat, and veggies! That’s a pretty darn good way to kick off the morning right?! Add some orange slices on the side and you’ve got a perfectly balanced breakfast that tastes great and fills you up.
I also love how ridiculously simple these little things are without sacrificing an ounce of flavor. I’m a firm believer that the simplest ingredients create some of the most delicious dishes.
Part of the success of this dish was that I utilized Amy’s black refried beans which are so flavorful in and of themselves that it meant I actually had to do very little work to make these taste as good as they do.
This post is sponsored by Amy’s
- 2-4 whole grain corn tortillas
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/4 cup refried black beans I used Amy's
- 1/4 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 2 tablespoons plain greek or skyr yogurt
- 1/4 avocado
- Fresh lime juice (1 wedge should do)
- Optional toppings: cilantro, hot sauce
- Warm 1/4 cup refried black beans and spread 2 tablespoons over 2 corn tortillas (you may want to double up if the tortillas are very thin)
- Crack two eggs into a small bowl
- Add milk and pepper whisking together with a fork
- Place a non-stick pan over medium high heat (you can grease the pan if you prefer to be sure it won't stick) and add egg mixture to it.
- Heat, flipping with a rubber spatula, until eggs are fully cooked through
- Layer half the eggs over refried black beans on one tortilla and the other half on the next
- Divide the cheese in half and sprinkle each tortilla with its dedicated portion
- Top cheese with fresh salsa, plain greek yogurt and avocado
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over both tacos
- Add optional toppings as desired