this easy breakfast comes together in less than 10 minutes and is packed with flavor, whole grains, heart-healthy fats, protein and fiber!
Someone asked me the other day if I had a strawberry oatmeal recipe on the blog and it made me realize that I’ve never blogged these strawberry walnut oats!
I couldn’t believe it because it’s one of my favorites (especially as the weather gets warmer and more summer fruit starts to appear!) so I’m glad I’ve finally gotten to put it up!
If you caught my IGTV video, you know that I love these because:
- They’re quick
- They’re delicious
- They’re loaded with whole grains, fiber, heart-healthy fat and protein
There’s nothing better than getting everything you need in one little bowl (especially when that everything comes together in under 10 minutes!).
For all you breakfast skippers out there, this dish can become your new go-to. You can even make a double (triple or quadruple!) batch over the weekend and then all you have to do in the morning is pull it out, top it with a little brown sugar and walnuts and you’re good to go!
In my video, I made a double batch, but below I’ll list the ingredients for just one serving (that way you can easily double or triple as needed).
strawberry walnut oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned or rolled oats (I love Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, washed & chopped (more or less as desired)
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (honey, maple syrup or other sweetener would work too)
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped walnuts
- Combine oatmeal, strawberries, water or milk, chia seeds and cinnamon (if using) in a non-stick pot over medium-low heat.
- Stir to combine then allow oats to begin to cook (you’ll notice some bubbling start around the edges). Once the bubbling begins, stir for 1-2 minutes and then lower heat & continue to stir until all the oats are gelatinous and cooked.
- Remove from heat, top immediately with brown sugar and walnuts, then serve.