Now that Owen is eating real food, I’ve been trying to make some easy things ahead of time on Sunday that he can eat all week. He’s a FIEND for bread with peanut butter, so I figured it would be good to whip up some muffins this week that had some fruit and veggies in them so that he was getting more than just grains!
These were the perfect remedy – and despite being sugar-free, he absolutely loves them!
Don’t get me wrong, there’s some definite sweetness coming from the banana and apple, but not nearly as sweet as pure fruit purees (which he can’t get enough of!)
He loves them slathered with a little nut butter (and I have to say, I actually do too!)
recipe from my kids lick the bowl (with a few tweaks)
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking power
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 whole carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Grease or line a mini muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place diced apple and carrot into a sauce pan with water (they should be at least 1/4 submerged) and bring to a boil then simmer with a lid on for about 6 minutes (or until fork tender). once cooked, drain most of the water and place in a food processor and process until puréed. set aside and let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together mashed banana, eggs and vanilla then add puréed mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Combine wet with dry ingredients, mixing until just combined
- Using a small cookie scoop (or just a spoon!) fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool on a wire cooling rack then serve! owen loves his smothered with nut butter.