The zucchini obsession continues!
I told you guys I was going to try to squeeze in a few more before Autumn is officially upon us and true to my word, I present you with another awesome use for the wonderful summer squash that is zucchini.
I have to admit though, it would be hard to call the zucchini the star of this sandwich. While it’s definitely a meaningful ingredient, it’s really all the flavors working together that make this what it is.
In my opinion, taking out even one of those 8 ingredients up there would affect the sandwich as a whole. Each and every one is needed to truly make this the “ultimate” veggie sandwich. I know some people despise onions (especially the uber powerful red onion), and I have to say, though I myself love them, I could definitely do without the fact that you basically re-taste them all day after eating them…but I promise you they’re worth it for this sandwich.
It’s just layers and layers of goodness. And there’s honestly not one flavor combination of all 8 ingredients that I could say was my “favorite” part. The cheese is amazing (obviously) and goes great with the hummus which both go great with the avocado which pairs perfectly with the zucchini…the list goes on. I promise you even the “vegetable haters” in your life will be able to get on board with this sandwich. That’s what makes it “the ultimate.”
You could definitely add other things to it (though be forewarned, it’s tricky as is to eat this without stray veggies spilling out all over the place) like sauteed mushrooms, olives, sprouts…or you can just stick with the simple 8 ingredients. It’s up to you and I promise, either way, you really can’t go wrong.
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1/3-1/2 a medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 4 tbsp. hummus (I used traditional but I bet roasted red pepper or garlic would be great here too)
- 1 slice reduced fat muenster cheese (I bet part-skim mozzarella would work here as well)
- 1/2 cup raw spinach
- 1 roma tomato, sliced (I did thicker slices, it's really up to you)
- 10 thinly sliced red onion rings
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Cooking spray
- Toast whole grain bread (I love Vermont Bread company)
- Meanwhile, saute zucchini slices in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over low heat until just soft (about 5-10 minutes)
- Top each side of the toasted bread with 2 tbsp. hummus
- Place slice of cheese on top of the hummus (on either piece of bread you choose) and layer sauteed zucchini on top of the cheese
- Place raw spinach on top of zucchini and then slices of avocado on top of the spinach
- On the bottom layer, layer onion and tomato slices on top of the hummus
- Carefully hold the bottom layer ingredients together and place on the top layer of the sandwich
- Flip the sandwich over, cut in half and enjoy!
Eat with a napkin as it can get messy!