a few easy shortcuts makes this dish simple to pull together for a weeknight meal. it’s also a great way to use up leftover veggies so they don’t go to waste!
Prep Time: 10 – 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Yield: 4+ servings Category: dinner
- 16 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella, finely shredded
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped veggies (I used what I had on hand, red onion, pepper, spinach and broccoli)
- 12 oz. box of jumbo shells
- optional for topping: fresh chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the shells 2 minutes less than the minimum recommended time.
- Meanwhile, add the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, 1 cup of parmesan, egg yolks, grated or minced garlic into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add chopped veggies and stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water (you will have more than will fit in the pan).
- Spread half the marinara evenly on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Stuff 1-2 tbsp. filling into each shell and place in a single layer in the baking dish. Repeat until you’ve used up all the room in the baking dish (~20-24 shells) then top with remaining marinara and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, uncovered, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil then serve.
- Feel free to add 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni, chicken or ground beef to the mix – anything really goes.
- Shells will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge