a few easy shortcuts makes this dish simple to pull together for a weeknight meal. it’s also a great way to use up leftover veggies so they don’t go to waste!
weeknight veggie stuffed shells
- 16 oz jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2.5 cups mozzarella cheese finely shredded
- 2 cups parmesan cheese finely shredded
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic minced or finely grated
- 1.5 – 2 cups chopped veggies use what you have – I did red onion, pepper, spinach and broccoli
- 12 oz. box jumbo shells
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the shells 2 minutes less than the minimum recommended time.
- Meanwhile, add the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, 1 cup of parmesan, egg yolks, grated or minced garlic into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add chopped veggies and stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water (you will have more than will fit in the pan).
- Spread half the marinara evenly on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Stuff 1-2 tbsp. filling into each shell and place in a single layer in the baking dish. Repeat until you’ve used up all the room in the baking dish (~20-24 shells) then top with remaining marinara and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, uncovered, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil then serve.
- Feel free to add 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni, chicken or ground beef to the mix – anything really goes.
- Shells will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge