this tender whole grain coffee cake is packed with fresh apples and warm spices making it a fall breakfast everyone will reach for!
Is there anything better chunks of warm apples smack in the middle of your coffee cake?
It’s honestly like eating apple pie for breakfast – tender apples paired with warm autumn spices. It’s best when enjoyed wrapped up in a warm blanket with a steaming hot mug of coffee while you watch foliage from your window 🙂
Seriously though, this coffee cake is delicious. It’s loaded with fruit and whole grains and if you serve it up topped with a little yogurt (my favorite way) you’re also getting a good dose of protein.
You can choose to omit the streusel topping if you’re looking to cut down on sugar a little bit, but in my opinion, it’s the best part!
- 1/4 cup butter or earth balance, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain greek or skyr yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or earth balance, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, place softened butter, brown sugar, egg, yogurt and vanilla extract together then beat using an electric mixture until well-combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, apple pie spice, baking soda, and salt then stir to combine.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture gently stirring until just combined then fold in apples. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar, flour, butter and apple pie spice in a bowl and stir together using a fork until it has formed a crumble. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.