Staying true to my pact to use both apples and pumpkin in October this year, I give you whole heat pumpkin apple waffles!
This is slowly becoming my favorite flavor combination! My brain is spinning with all the different ways I can utilize it (hint – there are likely muffins coming to the blog next week!).
I just love the idea of getting two different fruits into one breakfast dish. Not to mention utilizing whole grains gives these dish an extra heft helping to hold you over longer.
As with my Pumpkin Pecan Apple Baked Oatmeal dish, I like to serve these with plain greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. You can even add a few more diced apples or some walnuts to the top!
I recommend eating these alongside a warm mug of coffee, in your coziest flannel pjs in front of a roaring fire to get the full effect of their greatness 🙂
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (you can also use apple or pumpkin pie spice!)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree (depending on how much pumpkin flavor you like)
- 2 small apples (such as macintosh or jonamac), finely diced
- Preheat waffle iron
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon (or spice of choice) and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg, oil and canned pumpkin, whisking to combine
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture gently stirring to combine
- Fold in finely diced apples
- Add 1/3 cup of the mixture into the waffle iron at a time
If you don’t have a waffle iron, you can make this as pancakes!