For those of you that follow along with my Instagram stories, you know that I’m currently obsessed with the chocolate peppermint stick luna bars. I think there’s just something about this time of year that makes me crave that flavor combination.
I’ve been ordering those luna bars by the mega box from amazon lately and finally decided that it was time to just create an energy bite with the same flavors at home (my wallet thanks me for that decision!).
These little bites have every bit the chocolate peppermint flavor of my favorite luna bars and are ridiculously easy to pull together (you may be noticing that as a trend since the arrival of my sweet little Owen). I made a quick batch on Sunday to have for easy one-handed snacks throughout the week (anything that can be eaten one-handed is a lifesaver these days).
That’s the other great thing about these is that you can easily throw a few in a baggie and have them as an easy on-the-go snack. That is, if you don’t pop them all in your mouth while you’re making them! I definitely practiced a little “one for me, one for the plate” while making these because the smell was just too good! Note to self: make a double batch next time! 🙂
- 1 8-oz bag whole, pitted dates (I used Sunsweet)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons peppermint baking chunks (taste a small amount of them batter after pulsing and add more if you desire!)
- A pinch of salt
- Process all ingredients in a food processor
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop batter pressing into the scooper so that it's well packed. Press it out of the cookie scoop and work in your hands to create a tight ball.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used up