All of the sudden the cold weather just hit! We had been sailing along with a pretty warm winter up until a couple weeks ago and then BAM!
Whenever the weather is cold, all I crave is warm, comforting, hearty meals.
Cue a big pot of this bad boy. Perfectly tender sweet potatoes, protein packed black beans, turkey and quinoa. It’s literally everything you could ever wish for in a bowl on a freezing cold day.
Plus, it packs a huge punch of nutrients and generous dose of protein, making it so incredibly satisfying.
I like to pile mine high with reduced fat mexican-blend cheese, plain greek yogurt, hot sauce, avocado and cilantro and serve it with some good dipping chips.
Because I like to make my chilis on the thicker side, you can also scoop the contents out and fill a tortilla with it making tacos, a burrito or even a quesadilla!
But honestly, whatever way you choose to serve it, I promise you’ll be left with a belly full of comfort, without feeling weighed down.
- 1.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 1.5 cups water
- 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1, 28-ounce can unsalted, crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1, 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Optional toppings: reduced fat mexican-blend cheese, plain greek yogurt, chipotle hot sauce, salsa, avocado and cilantro
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or deep pot. Add the onion, garlic, ground turkey, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Cook all together, stirring turkey until it is browned and crumbly (add some of the water to the turkey as needed to keep it moist while cooking). Remove turkey from the pot and set aside.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the same pot along with the diced sweet potatoes and about 1 cup of the water and 1 cup of the broth. Bring to a low boil and then simmer (about 10-15 minutes) until the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa on a separate burner.
- Add the turkey mixture back into the pot with the sweet potatoes. Stir in 2 more cups of chicken broth, can of crushed tomatoes and black beans. Add remaining cup of chicken broth if chili is too thick for your taste.
- Finally, gently stir in the cooked quinoa. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings of choice.