If you haven’t caught on by now, I’m a big fan of Mediterranean food. Being from a big Greek family, I love the flavors of the Mediterranean and will incorporate them into just about every dish I can.
The saying “feta makes everything betta” was more or less invented for me!
And one of my absolute faaaavorite dishes are gyros (pronounced “yih-roh”). Generally these are lamb-based dishes but since I’m not a big fan of lamb, I’ll often sub chicken for them. My sister however recently went vegan so I wanted to come up with something that she could enjoy too.
This is actually more like a twist on a gyro – it’s not completely traditional, I threw some more things in there than you would normally find. But I promise you it’s a combo of flavors that you will love!
Not only is it bursting with flavor, but it also offers whole grains from the pita bread, protein from the chickpeas, feta, hummus and homemade tzatziki, veggies and heart healthy fat from the avocado. It’s honestly got everything you could want or need in a dish!
PLUS it’s super simple to pull together making it a perfect weeknight dinner or easy lunch. 100% my kind of meal.
- 4 whole grain pitas (I love Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup lemon tzatziki recipe here - or your favorite store-bought brand
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice
- Optional toppings: drizzle of olive oil, drizzle of red wine vinegar
- Lay out whole grain pita bread
- Top each with 1/4 of the hummus and tzatziki sauce
- Divide all remaining ingredients into 4 and top each pita with quartered portion
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice to finish
- Optional: drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar