this easy sandwich is full of gooey white cheddar whose sharpness is perfectly offset by the tangy cranberries and crunch of the walnuts in the bread.
This meal has been on repeat for me lately. You all know how much I love my whole grain cranberry walnut bread and I recently made a batch of it (which I have pretty much been making into different sandwiches every day).
After I made a loaf I excitedly bough a block of sharp white cheddar knowing that this bread would make THE BEST grilled cheese. And I’m happy to say that I definitely wasn’t wrong. It’s the perfect fall/winter comfort meal when you want something easy but completely delicious.
It would also be great with a few thinly sliced apples or some crispy bacon thrown in there – mix it up with what you like and go to town. You will not regret it!
cranberry walnut cheddar grilled cheese
- 2 thick slices grain cranberry walnut bread store bought or grab my recipe for homemade in the notes!
- 1 block sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into thin slices I like to buy the block and slice versus buying sliced cheese for maximum melt
- Take 2 slices of cranberry walnut bread and slather the outsides of each slice with butter (be generous – it makes for a better sandwich!)
- Place sliced white cheddar on the insides of both pieces of the bread then sandwich the slices together
- Heat a pan or griddle over very LOW heat (see note) then place the sandwich butter side down onto the pan. Cook, flipping until each side is golden brown (it will vary depending on ovens/griddles, etc.) and cheese is sufficiently melted.
- Don’t be tempted to raise the heat to reduce the cook time – that results in unmelted cheese and burnt bread.
- If you’re having a hard time getting your cheese to melt and your bread is browning fast, turn the heat to the lowest setting and place a pot lid over the sandwich. The steam captured will help the cheese to melt without burning the bread.
- Recipe for homemade whole grain cranberry walnut bread is here.