I know tuna salad tends to get a bad reputation but I absolutely love it!
I try to incorporate it at least once a week because it’s not only a great source of protein but also provides heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Whenever I feature my tuna melts on Instagram, I get a lot of questions about how I make my tuna (it can be made so many different ways, so it makes sense!) and I’ve been meaning to get a post together to share that for the longest time, so I’m happy I finally made it happen – because I definitely do mine a little different than most!
I like to put plain greek or skyr yogurt mixed with spicy brown mustard, red onion, shredded carrot and diced celery into mine. It ups the fiber and nutrient content even more and it tastes delicious.
Mix it all together, spread it on some hearty whole wheat bread (Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Tuscan Pane is my favorite), top it with a slice of cheese and pop it in the toaster for a deliciously warm, melty and nutritious sandwich!
It’s an easy, delicious mid-day meal (or even lazy weeknight meal!) that’s full of nutrition – it really doesn’t get much better than that, does it?Print
this easy tuna salad is loaded with hidden veggies giving it a perfect crunch and tons of flavor. top it with a slice of cheese and toast it up for a tuna melt!
- 3 ounces albacore tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons diced celery
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2–4 tablespoons plain greek or skyr yogurt (more or less depending on how wet you like it)
- 1–2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (honey mustard also works!)
- 1 slice mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 2 slices hearty whole grain bread
- Small handful of leafy greens greens
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well
- Spread on one slice of whole grain bread, top with slice of cheese and place in the toaster oven to allow the bread to toast, tuna to warm and cheese to melt
- Add tomato and greens, sandwich together, slice and serve!