I’ve been DYING for some time now to make chocolate chip zucchini waffles. I wanted to do something a little different from the usual chocolate chip zucchini bread or muffins and I figured waffles would be the perfect vehicle to mix things up a bit!
And boy oh boy, did these turn out better than I ever could have anticipated! It’s all the delicious flavors of a good zucchini bread but in waffle form! And as an added bonus, it’s completely acceptable to add syrup to them 🙂
Not only are they delicious, but they provide a hefty amount of nutrition (something I look for the majority of my food to do for me!). You’re getting a little protein and fiber from the whole grain flour as well as vitamins & minerals from the zucchini. I recommend serving up two with a glass of milk or cup of yogurt and some fruit for a perfectly well-balanced and wholesome breakfast!
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (I love King Arthur brand)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon (more or less as you prefer)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (more if you prefer!)
- Preheat waffle iron
- Combine first 5 ingredients
- Then combine egg, milk and canola oil
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, gently combine
- Fold in shredded zucchini followed by chocolate chips
- Add batter to the waffle iron and cook
Note: These can also be made as pancakes so if you don't have a waffle iron, don't worry!
NUTRITION FACTS | Serving Size: 1 Waffle
143 calories, 6g fat, 20g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 154mg sodium, 7g sugar