this french toast is simple, delicious and great to make ahead and freeze for easy weekday breakfasts!
As promised, I’ve pulled together the recipe for this easy whole grain french toast from my IGTV video!
As I mentioned in my video, I love this recipe because it’s:
- Giving you whole grains & a little protein (plus more if you add fruit & yogurt toppings!)
It makes a great weekend breakfast (and if you double the batch you can freeze the leftovers to pull out for easy morning meals during the week!). If you missed it, I also shared the recipe for my french toast roll-ups, which are kid-friendly, delicious and portable!Print
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread (stale or day old is best)
- 3 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butter (for greasing the pan)
- Optional toppings: nut butter, yogurt, syrup, fruit
- Preheat a griddle of place a non-stick pan over medium or medium-low heat.
- In a large, shallow bowl (or plate with high edges), combine eggs, splash of milk and cinnamon. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Grease the griddle or pan with butter
- One at a time, dip both sides of the bread slice into the egg/milk/cinnamon mixture and transfer to the preheated griddle or pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until just brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool 1-2 minutes before serving then top with toppings of choice and enjoy!
- This will keep up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- You can also freeze up to 2 months in an airtight container. When ready to serve, simple defrost in the microwave (or leave out in a ziploc bag on the counter overnight).