I’ve been craving a chicken stir-fry dish for a while now. Is that a weird craving to have? I’m not sure.
Every one in a while though I just want a nice, veggie-packed bowl with some crispy chicken and hearty brown rice. And so this past weekend I finally got around to making it!
And let me tell you, it was exactly what I was craving.
You guys know my love for one-stop bowl meals – any time I can get lean protein, whole grains and veggies all into one dish, I’m a happy camper.
The leftovers make for really easy packed lunches – throw this and a piece of fruit into your bag and you’ve got a complete meal. It’s a perfect heat and eat option for lunch or dinner!
In fact, it’s almost better as leftovers because it allows the flavors to really sit and marinate.
It’s got a little kick to it which keeps it interesting flavor-wise but not so much that it completely overwhelms the dish.
It’s also completely customizable – you can pick and choose the grain (try farro, bulgur, couscous, quinoa, etc.), the veggies you want and even the protein (try tofu, seitan, pork, beef…). I love a recipe that you can make your own – it’s the best kind of recipe if you ask me 🙂
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 scallions, sliced, bottom roots discarded
- 2 large carrots, peeled & sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, stems removed
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sushi sauce (I used Kikkoman)
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (less if you prefer less spice)
- 1½ tablespoons soy marinade (I used Soy Vay)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, combine soy marinade, 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame oil and the sambal oelek in a small bowl
- While the rice continues to cook, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot.
- Add the ginger, carrots, sliced white bottoms of the scallions to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally (about 2-3 minutes), or until slightly softened and fragrant.
- Add the broccoli, pepper and mushrooms continuing to cook, stirring occasionally (about 3-4 minutes), or until slightly browned and softened.
- Add the sushi sauce and remaining 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil. Cook 30 seconds - 1 minute, stirring frequently or until the vegetables are fully coated.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- Place chicken in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then add flour and toss to coat.
- In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the coated chicken in an even layer (tapping off excess flour before adding) and cook without stirring, 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the sauce you mixed earlier to the pan and cook another 1-2 minutes or until chicken is fully glazed.
- In a bowl layer cooked brown rice, veggies and chicken then top with sliced green onion.
recipe inspired by blue apron1