sharing my advice on figuring our a skincare routine that works for you + my current routine.
There’s no lack of advice out there for what skincare products you should use. It can be incredibly confusing to determine which ones are right for your specific needs. Every other day it seems like someone or another is hawking a different 20-step routine skincare you should follow to get glowing skin just like theirs! But here’s the thing: your skin is not their skin. And if you’re like me – a 20 step routine just isn’t realistic.
I’ve struggled with my skin since my teenage acne years. I’ve tried every highly marketed product imaginable (Proactive, Tula, FRE…are these ringing any bells?!) without much success. If you’re nodding your head right along with me, I got you!
It wasn’t until I went to a good facialist that I finally found a routine that made sense for MY skin. For me, that was the turning point that changed it all. Just like with diet programs and fitness routines, your skincare needs to be individualized to your skin type and needs.
My best advice to you when it comes to choosing a skincare routine for yourself? Get at least one professional facial. Facialist do this for a LIVING. They want you to be able to trust them because that’s what will keep you coming back, so it’s in their best interest to find you the right routine. It’s definitely an investment, but less than you’ll spend on tons of products that don’t work for you over the years!
I find it’s best to find an independent facialist because too often different spas or salons have contracts with certain brands or companies, so they’ll only pass along those products. Alexis Robertson is one I would recommend. She works out of Boston but offers virtual consults as well.
Here’s the routine I’m currently following that works for me:
- Dermalogica PreCleanse
- Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser
- 2-3x/week: Dermalogica Microfoliant
- If needed: Dermalogica Age Bright Spot Fader
- Vitamin C Serum (I’m experimenting with a couple different ones right now. I’ve tried Sunday Riley’s CEO & Tumeric oil and liked it as well as Mario Badescu. I’ll update when I find one I’m sticking with!)
- Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance
It looks like a lot but it takes me all of about 5 minutes and has made a huge difference in my overall skin tone and health.
I do the above morning and night and then the only makeup I use during the day is:
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer
- It Cosmetics CC+ Cream with SPF 50+
- It Cosmetics Your Most Beautiful You Anti-Aging Face Palette
- It Cosmetics Brow Power Micro Universal Defining Eyebrow Pencil
My skin is nowhere near perfect, but it’s far improved from where it once was and I credit finding the right routine and products for my specific skin (that, and patience, cause these things take time!).
Next on my list is finding a completely natural skincare routine that works for my skin! I’ll keep ya posted!2
Leave a Reply