a monthly column detailing all the things that have grabbed my attention month to month
Here are the things that have piqued my interest so much this month that I had to share them with you:
- Christy Harrison’s Food Psych Podcast Episode #306: Christy offers 5 tips for dealing with diet evangelists and diet-culture messaging this time of year (I recommend this one specifically for the New Years of it all, but really, you can’t go wrong with any episode you pick, so browse through and see what resonates most!)
- The Underbelly: A beautiful & safe space for all bodies. Read more about it here.
- Virginia Sole-Smith’s Burnt Toast Podcast: How to Tell if Your Resolution is Rooted in Diet Culture (I also recommend her whole substack – tons of great reads, most recently regarding the AAP guidelines – especially this really critical line: “The weight loss industry (both pharmaceutical companies and diet and fitness brands) has been shaping scientific research on weight and health in order to profit off our “war on obesity” for decades.”)
- Ragen Chastain’s Weight & Healthcare Substack: Ragen does an amazing job of breaking down diet culture BS in a way that’s relatable, understandable and easy to follow. I definitely recommend subscribing to her newsletter – it’s a favorite of mine to read. She’s also tackled a lot on the new AAP guidelines.
- These cookies which I definitely plan on making at some point!
- This french style pound cake with apples
- This soft whole wheat bread – I love my go-to recipe, but I’m pretty excited to try this one out.
- Cup of Joe: I recently discovered this site and am loving what I’ve read so far. From recipes to relatable parenting pieces, I can see why it has such a large and engaged audience.
- Universal Standard: As they put it on their site: “Where style is your only filter. Sizes 00-40. Fashion for all of US. As we are.” Love their philosophy and their mission (and am obsessed with their tee rex shirt!)
- This candle and this blanket are probably two of my top picks for home purchases this month
- Bookshop.org: This site allows readers all over the world to connect with independent book sellers, which, as a fan of a good cozy bookshop, I absolutely love. Browse all my recommendations and want to reads from anti-diet to fiction, non-fiction and children’s books.
- I just started the show Shrinking and while there’s only two episodes out so far, I’m really enjoying it.
- I haven’t met a piece of loungewear I don’t like, but these have been my favorites lately:
And that does it for January! Until next month 🖤2