For those of you that know me, you know I love peanut butter and jelly in any form I can get it.
But I have a special fondness for pb&j oatmeal. For some reason it feels so much more special than just a regular peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
This keeps me full all morning long thanks to the combination of protein, fiber and heart-healthy fat. Whenever I know I have a long morning ahead of me, it’s one of my go-to breakfasts.
And I mean, really – is there anything better than the peanut butter / jelly flavor combo? And if peanut butter isn’t for you, you can use any nut butter you want! I just happen to prefer the classic.
I also like to add chia seeds to the mix to make the oats a little more hearty. In fact, I never make oats without them anymore. They soak up some of the liquid so you get a chewier texture. Plus they’re filled with omega-3s, protein and fiber!
I’m also personally a raspberry jelly person but you can use whatever flavor is your favorite. This would also be great with blueberry, strawberry and even grape!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened soymilk (or preferred milk)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons natural peanut butter (or preferred nut butter), divided
- 2-3 tablespoons raspberry fruit preserves (or preferred flavor), divided
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped, divided
- Bring milk to a boil on the stovetop
- Once milk is boiling, add oatmeal and bring back to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat and continue cooking for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add chia seeds stirring well
- Place oats in 2 bowls then top each with peanut butter, fruit preserves, raspberries and peanuts
If oats seem thick, add additional liquid to thin out until it has reached your desired consistency