There are honestly few things that I love more than egg bakes. They are just the perfect thing to whip up on a Friday and eat all week long for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
They act as a perfect vehicle for vegetables and cheese (2 of my favorite things!) and offer high quality protein. You can easily serve them up with some whole wheat toast or roasted sweet potatoes plus a piece of fruit and have a fairly well-balanced meal.
Honestly, what’s NOT to love about that?
I’ve done many different combinations of egg bakes (if you’re a long-time reader, you might remember my broccoli, pepper and feta egg bake recipe from last winter!) but this might just be one of my favorites.
It was born out of a “I need something to eat but didn’t go grocery shopping so what can I whip up that I have on hand?” type of question.
Please tell me I’m not alone in asking that kind of question!
Anyway, from that came this and I’m sure glad it did because it was not only delicious, but made it easy to get some good veggies and protein in at every meal!
- 2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese (more if you're a cheese lover like I am!)
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- Splash of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish
- Evenly layer spinach and tomatoes in the dish
- In a bowl, combine eggs and egg whites and whisk
- Add a splash of milk and whisk further until combined; whisk in salt and pepper
- Pour whisked egg mixture over vegetables
- Spinkle shredded mozzarella over the mixture
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until egg sets and sides begin to brown