If you haven’t caught on by now, I’m very into roasted vegetables. There’s a bevy of incredible root vegetables available that are packed with so much flavor that it makes minimalist cooking so easy to do. And if there is one thing I love, it’s easy meals that not only taste great, but come together quickly.
Because let me tell you, this time of year, anything that’s quick and easy to pull together is good in my book. Somehow, as the holidays creep towards us, the daily to-do list seems to grow exponentially. So things that save time without sacrificing quality is a-ok with me.
This also makes a hefty serving, giving you about 4 good-sized meals (meaning you’re only on the hook for one more lunch this week!). And you can absolutely feel good about eating it all week long knowing that it’s packed with nutrition. You’re getting protein from the chicken sausage and plenty of vitamins and minerals from the multitude of vegetables in the dish. A perfect eat-all-week meal that will warm you from the inside out.
- 4 chicken apple sausages, sliced (I like Applegate Farms and Aidell's
- 1 butternut squash peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 rutabaga peeled, cubed
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: dried cranberries and walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400'F
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil
- Place butternut squash and brussel sprouts on one and drizzle with olive oil (1/2-1 tablespoon) and toss to fully coat
- Sprinkle the butternut squash with cinnamon and toss gently to coat
- Sprinkle brussel sprouts with salt and pepper to taste
- Place rutabaga on the second prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, tossing to coat
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rutabaga for 40-50 minutes (or until tender and just browned), tossing halfway through to ensure even browning
- Cook butternut squash and brussel sprouts for 20-30 minutes (or until brussel sprouts are lightly browned and butternut squash is tender)
- Remove butternut squash and brussel sprouts from the pan and place sliced chicken sausage on the same pan and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until both sides are lightly browned.
- Combine all together and sprinkle with (optional) dried cranberries and walnuts and serve with your favorite fruit!