For those of you that have read this blog for a while, you’re probably not surprised by this dish at all.
It’s a pretty well-known fact that both chicken sausage and roasted brussel sprouts are pretty solid staples in my diet.
So the other day, while scouring my kitchen for a meal to make, I grabbed the bag of brussel sprouts and threw them into the oven to roast (I mean…regardless of what I’m having, I can always incorporate roasted vegetables, so I figured it was a pretty safe bet) then pulled out the chicken sausage and went to grab some bread or whole wheat buns on which to put it.
Only to realize I had none.
Could I put it over…brown rice? Ehhh. Chop it up and just eat it together in a bowl? Sure, but that felt a little boring…
Then I realized I had a box of whole wheat rotini.
Chicken sausage. Roasted brussel sprouts. Whole wheat pasta.
WHY did it take me this long to ever think to combine all these things together in one dish??
Roasted Brussel Sprout & Chicken Sausage Whole Wheat Pasta
- 4 Italian-style chicken sausages (I used Aidells Italian-style with mozzarella cheese)
- 1 bag of frozen brussel sprouts
- 1 box of whole wheat rotini (or preferred type of whole wheat pasta)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place brussel sprouts in a microwave safe dish with 1-2 tbsp. water. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until just softened. Slice brussel sprouts in half and place on a pan lined with tinfoil.
- Drizzle olive oil and salt over the brussel sprouts, tossing to make sure they’re fully coated.
- Place brussel sprouts in the oven and allow to roast until just browned and crispy (about 20-30 minutes depending on your oven).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to box instructions.
- Slice the chicken sausage and place into a non-stick pan coated with a bit of olive oil. Toss the chicken sausage in the pan until slightly browned on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked, drained pasta into a large serving dish. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper then toss in heated chicken sausage and roasted brussel sprouts. Toss to combine.