For those of you that have read this blog for a while, you’re probably not surprised by this dish at all.
It’s a pretty well-known fact that both chicken sausage and roasted brussel sprouts are pretty solid staples in my diet.
So the other day, while scouring my kitchen for a meal to make, I grabbed the bag of brussel sprouts and threw them into the oven to roast (I mean…regardless of what I’m having, I can always incorporate roasted vegetables, so I figured it was a pretty safe bet) then pulled out the chicken sausage and went to grab some bread or whole wheat buns on which to put it.
Only to realize I had none.
Could I put it over…brown rice? Ehhh. Chop it up and just eat it together in a bowl? Sure, but that felt a little boring…
Then I realized I had a box of whole wheat rotini.
Chicken sausage. Roasted brussel sprouts. Whole wheat pasta.
WHY did it take me this long to ever think to combine all these things together in one dish??
Roasted Brussel Sprout & Chicken Sausage Whole Wheat Pasta
- 4 Italian-style chicken sausages (I used Aidells Italian-style with mozzarella cheese)
- 1 bag of frozen brussel sprouts
- 1 box of whole wheat rotini (or preferred type of whole wheat pasta)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place brussel sprouts in a microwave safe dish with 1-2 tbsp. water. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until just softened. Slice brussel sprouts in half and place on a pan lined with tinfoil.
- Drizzle olive oil and salt over the brussel sprouts, tossing to make sure they’re fully coated.
- Place brussel sprouts in the oven and allow to roast until just browned and crispy (about 20-30 minutes depending on your oven).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to box instructions.
- Slice the chicken sausage and place into a non-stick pan coated with a bit of olive oil. Toss the chicken sausage in the pan until slightly browned on both sides. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked, drained pasta into a large serving dish. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper then toss in heated chicken sausage and roasted brussel sprouts. Toss to combine.
So simple and perfectly delicious!
Thanks Lauren! It’s exactly that which is why it makes it such a great recipe! 🙂
nomnomnom. I’m obsessed with brussels!
Meeee too! Especially when roasted!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says
You know you had me at brussels! Love the colors, too. 🙂
Hahaha – a girl after my own heart 🙂
Amy @Macncheesenpeas says
wow this looks amazing!! I love roasted brussel sprouts!
Me too! They make all the difference in this dish 🙂
I wish we could get chicken sausages in the UK, this looks so good and i always like the sound of them 🙂
Oh my! I don’t think I realized you didn’t have them there!! They definitely are delicious…though I bet a garlic-roasted chicken breast would be a great substitute!
I have brussel sprouts in the fridge! So glad I read this before I made dinner tonight!
Yaaaaay! I’ll know it’s a success if Adrienne likes it 🙂
Liz @ Tip Top Shape says
Ugh, this looks ridiculously good. Can it be dinner now?? lol
Hahah – almost!! The good news is that it’s worth the wait 🙂
Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles says
YUM! I love this combo. My fiance won’t eat either brussel sprouts or sausage (very very picky) so I’ll have to make this on a night he’s not home!
Definitely do! It’s delicious! 🙂
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups says
Chicken sausage, pasta and whatever veggies are an easy meal staple for me too! I love using egg noodles for something a little lighter and adding freshly grated parmesan for some flavor.
Oooh egg noodles are such a good idea! And yes – freshly grated cheese is ALWAYS a good idea in my book 🙂
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race says
Yum! Gonna have to give this a try very soon!
Shanna :) says
I love eating pasta and this recipe looks so simple! When you said PASTA, BRUSSELS, and SAUSAGE I practically started drooling XD Definitely gonna try this 🙂 Please make more pasta recipes =)
So glad to hear it! 🙂 I will work on more pasta recipes for ya! 😉
Making this tonight! Thanks for the recipe!
Of course! I hope you like it!